2 whole duck legs-cleaned and trimmed away any fats
(make slits on the thicker part of the drumstick)
800 g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
300 ml water
2 sheets greased baking paper and cling wrap
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tbsp hua tiao chew
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tbsp sugar
1-2 small rock sugar
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/4 tsp dark soy sauce
6 red dates – washed , slit and seeds removed
1 tbsp wolfberries (goji)
3 slices ginger – bruised
100 ml Waist Tonic Essence
3 tbsp chicken stock
1/2 tsp corn flour (mixed with 2 tbsp water) for thickening
1) Rub seasoning ingredients on the duck legs. Place duck legs in a bowl and add in the tonic essence ingredients. Mix well and put in container and leave to marinate for about 3 hours in the fridge.
2) In a mixing bowl, add in flour and mix with salt and water to form a stiff , pliable dough. Roll out into a rectangle, big enough to wrap the duck legs.
3) Steam duck legs with the mixture over high heat for 20 minutes.
(thicken the sauce with corn starch and if it is too thick, add more chicken stock , taste accordingly and adjust to your preference).
4) Remove duck legs and wrap with 1 layer of greased baking paper and cover with cling wrap. Wrap with another layer of greased baking paper.
5) Cover the duck legs with flour paste. Place duck legs in a roasting pan and bake in pre heated oven 190 C for about 2-3 hours.
6) Crack open flour paste, remove paper and wrap, transfer to a serving plate and drizzle thickening tonic sauce over it,