4 pairs of Yu Tiao
500 g cuttle fish paste (bought from Ntuc or Giant)
300 g fresh fish paste (bought from market)/Dodo fish paste
150 g prawns – cut into small chunks
Crispy tempura flour for coating
Toasted Sesame Seed
2 tbsp corn flour
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp white pepper
1 egg white
1 tsp chicken powder
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1/2 tsp sugar
1) In a large mixing bowl, marinate the cuttlefish paste, fish paste and prawns with seasoning ingredients. Mix well so that seasoning are evenly distributed seafood mixture.
2) Holding each pair of Yu Tiao and pull them apart into a single piece. Using a pair of kitchen scissor, cut each piece into 1/2. Hold each 1/2 length piece in your hand, pry the slit to open and stuff with the seafood paste. Complete stuffingcfor the rest of the Yu Tiao. Pat it neatly.
(You can freeze the stuffed Yu Tiao in the fridge and fry them when you want to eat them. Defrost completely in fridge before frying.
3) Sprinkle some sesame seed just on the surface of the seafood paste and coat with crispy tempura flour. Pat off the excess.
4) Heat wok with enough oil on low medium heat till hot. Gently lower the stuffed Yu Tiao into the oil with paste facing down. Fry for about 5-8 minutes, flip over to check if the surface is lightly golden, turn all the Yu Tiao and fry for about 2-3 minutes.
5) Remove from oil, drained on kitchen towels. Cut into bite size wedges and serve hot with mayonnaise or spicy Thai chilli sauce.
**You can also steamed it for 5-8 minutes, cool completely and coated with crsipy tempura flour before frying. Steaming is to ensure the paste is cooked thoroughly.