800 g Sotong
1/2 fresh white shredded coconut
1 piece turmeric leaf – shredded
Aluminium foil (for wrapping)
5 fresh red chilli
4 -6 chilli padi
1 inch galangal
3 stalks lemongrass
3 cloves garlic
1/2 inch ginger
1 inch turmeric
4 pieces candle nut
1/2 tbsp coriander powder
2 tbsp Huiji Honey
Salt to taste
Juice of 1/2 lime
1) Clean sotong and set aside.
2) Heat wok with oil and saute blended ingredients till aromatic and oil separates. add in shredded coconut and sauce ingredients. Stir to mix evenly, adjust taste to your preference and cook till almost dry.
3) Stuffed sotong with the cooked sambal till 3/4 full and seal off with a toothpick. Repeat the same to the rest of the sotong. (Make a few slits on the body).
4) Place the stuffed sotong on a piece of banana leaf on aluminium foil, spread the balance of sambal all over the sotong/
5) Baked/grilled in pre heated oven 200 C for about 20-25 minutes or till cooked. DO NOT OVERCOOKED or the sotong will become rubbery.
6) Serve hot.
1 kg medium size sotong – cleaned and pat dry
2 potatoes – cut into small cubes and steamed till soft (mashed it)
1/2 egg white
1 tsp corn flour
1 big onion – diced finely
1 fresh red chilli – sliced
1 tbsp tomato sauce
3 kaffir leaves – shredded
1/2 turmeric leaf – shredded
2 stalks lemongrass
20 dried chillies – soaked till soft (3 tbsp chilli paste)
1 big onion
2 cm ginger
2 inch galangal
2 inch turmeric
50 ml water
2 tbsp gula melaka
2 pieces Asam Keping
1 tbsp kerisik
100 ml santan (Kara brand)
Salt & sugar to taste
2 kaffir leave
1/2 turmeric leaf
1 tsp Knorr Hao Chi All-In-One Seasoning Powder
1) In a big mixing bowl, add chopped onion, mashed potato, egg white, fried shallots, chilli, corn flour, 1/2 tsp salt, pinch of black pepper, stir mix to combine evenly.
2) Stuffed the potato mixture into sotong till 3/4 full, put back the tentacles and secure with a toothpick. Do the same to the rest of the sotong. Set aside.
3) Heat oil in a wok and saute blended ingredients till aromatic, add tomato sauce, kaffir leaf, turmeric leaf and continue to saute till oil separates. Add in seasoning ingredients, stir to combine well. Simmer over low heat till sauce thickens, taste accordingly and adjust to your preference.
4) Add in stuffed sotong (chicken breast meat) and stir to mix well with the gravy. Cook for about 10 minutes or until sotong is just cooked. DO NOT OVERCOOK or the sotong will become rubbery.
5) Dish out to serving plate and slice to your preference and sprinkle with shredded kaffir & turmeric leaves.
Chicken Meat with Mashed Potato In Rendang Sauce
Using the same ingredients and method from Stuffed Sotong
(Slice breast meat thinly and flatten with a rolling pin or mallet, sprinkle with corn flour and spread with potato mixture, roll it up and secure with a toothpick).