Ingredients for Brinjal and Potato
4 small brinjal – halved (using a teaspoon, scrape out some of the white parts)
3 big potato – halved (steamed till 1/2 cooked and scrape out some of the flesh)
flesh of the potato – diced
white parts of the brinjal – diced
200 g minced chicken meat
2 tbsp cooked green curry paste
1 tbsp minced basil leaves
Salt to taste
1 tsp sugar
1 green chilli– sliced thinly
50 ml water
1) Bring a pot of salt water and oil to a boil, add in the brinjal and blanced for 3 minutes, drained and transfer to icy water. Soak for a while, remove and pat dry, dust with some corn flour in the middle of the brinjal. Arrange on a baking tray lined with greased aluminium foil.
2) Heat a frying pan with 1 tbsp oil, translucent, add in green curry paste and stir to mix well. Add in potato, chicken meat and brinjal, continue to stir fry for about 2 minutes. Add in water, sugar, salt to taste and soy sauce. Taste accordingly and adjust to your preference. Simmer over low heat for 1 minute and stir to mix well. Dish out to a serving bowl.
3) Fill out the dusted brinjal and potato with No. (2) , topped with minced basil leaves green chilli and a tablespoon of Green curry gravy and baked in pre heated oven 250 C for 20 minutes.
4) Serve hot with rice.
Green Curry Gravy
300 g chicken breast meat – sliced thinly ( marinade with 1/2 tsp corn flour)
5 green chilli padi – halves
6 red chilli padi – halves
300 ml water
200 ml fresh coconut water
100 ml coconut milk
1 tbsp Gula Melaka
3 pieces Kaffir leaves – torn
2 pieces pandan leaves – knotted
3 tbsp oil
1/2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
1 bowl Basil leaves
6 small brinjal – halves or quartered
5 stalks long beans – cut into 2 inch in lengthwise (optional)
2 potatoes – cut into small chunks (optional)
Salt, sugar to taste
1 Maggie Chicken cube
15 green chilli/chilli padi
2 inch galangal
2 stalks lemongrass
4 cloves garlics
1/2 big onion
20 g coriander roots/stems – chopped
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp each – coriander and cumin powder
1 inch belacan
2 kaffir leaves
1/2 tbsp oil
50 ml water
1) Heat oil in a wok, saute blended ingredients till aromatic and colour deepens. ( Set aside 2 tbsp of the paste). Add add brinjal and long beans, stir and mix to combine evenly.
2) Add water, fresh coconut water, kaffir leaves, pandan leaves, sliced chillies, chicken cube and cook covered over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3) Gradually add the coconut milk and chicken meat, once mixture returns to simmering boil, basil leaves, gula melaka, Thai fish sauce, salt and sugar to taste.
4) Continue to simmer till chicken is cook through and brinjal is cooked. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.