1 handful of dried shrimps (soaked in water till soft)
15 dried chilli (soaked in hot water till soft)
5 chilli padi
2 red fresh chilli
1/2 big onion
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp peanut oil
50 ml water
1 tbsp tamarind paste – mix with 3 tbsp water
Sugar and salt to taste
1 tbsp gula melaka
4 tbsp peanut oil or vegetable oil
3 pandan leaves – knotted
2 lemongrass – bruised
2 big red onion – sliced
1) Heat peanut oil in a wok till hot and add in blended ingredients and lemongrass, saute till color darkens and oil floats on top.
2) Add in tamarind water, salt and sugar to taste, pandan leaves, sliced onions and continue to simmer over low heat till sambal thickens and see a layer of oil on top again. Adjust taste to your preference.
Ingredients for Nasi Lemak
4 cups rice
3-4 slices ginger
3 shallots – sliced
1 cup coconut milk – from 1 fresh coconut
5 cups water
2 pieces – Daun pandan – knotted
2 stalks lemongrass – bruised
3 pieces Daun Pandan – knotted
1) Wash rice and drained well. Set aside.
2) Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok and saute lemongrass, onions, pandan leaf and ginger till aromatic, add in water and coconut milk and bring to a boil, add a tsp salt and stir to mix well. Add in rice and mix to combine well, transfer to a rice cooker and let the rice cooker do the job.
3) Once rice is cooked, use a pair of chopstick to loosen up the rice. Covered wit a piece of banana leaf and close the cover.
150 g Ikan billis – washed and fry till crispy and set aside
150 g medium prawns – shelled and leave tail intact
1 big red onion – sliced
11/2 tbsp tamarind paste (mixed with 3 tbsp water)
50 ml water
20 pieces dried chillies – soaked in hot water till soft
5 fresh red chillies
5 small chilli padi
1 inch ginger
1/2 red onion
4 cloves garlic
50 g fried ikan billis
50 ml water
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
Salt and sugar to taste
1) Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok and cooked blended ingredients till oil separates. Add in tamarind water and onions, stir to mix well and add a bit water if the gravy is too thick.
2) Add in prawns and bring to a simmer till prawns is 1/2 cooked, add in the balance of fried ikan billis (100 g) and stir to combine well with the sambal. Season with sauce ingredients, taste accordingly and adjust to your preference.
3) Serve hot with cooked Nasi Lemak and topped with peanuts, ikan billis, cucumber , kuning fish or tomatoes.