15-18 big prawns – cleaned and trimmed off feelers
(marinate with a bit of turmeric, red chilli powder, corn flour and salt for 30 minutes)
2 sprigs of curry leaves
1 big red onion – sliced thinly
1 tbsp halba (a mixture of fenugreek seeds, fennel seed, cummin seed and mustard seed)
1 /2 tbsp tamarind paste (mixed with 250 ml water)
Salt & sugar to taste
3 tbsp oil
3 cloves garlic
11/2 inch ginger
3 fresh red chilli
10-15 dried chilli – soak still soft
3 tbsp fish curry powder
50 ml water
1) Heat oil in a wok and saute onions and curry leaves till aromatic, add blended ingredients and continue to stir-fry till oil separates.
2) Add tamarind water and bring to a boil. Once boil, add prawns and season with salt and sugar to taste. Adjust taste to your preference.
3) Simmer over low heat for 2-3 minutes or until prawns are just cooked. Serve hot with rice.
Briyani Set – Curry Chicken, pappadam and crispy fish
Roti Prata With Chicken Curry
Ingredients (6-8 pax)
8 chicken drumsticks
6 mid-joint chicken wings
4 potatoes – peeled and cut into cubes
2-3 sticks kelo (murungukai) – cut into 2 inch in lengthwise
1 Maggi chicken cube
200 ml coconut milk
1/2 can tomato paste (Hunt’s small can)
Salt & sugar to taste
1 tbsp cashew nut – pounded
1 stalk lemongrass – bruised
8 shallots – sliced
4 cloves garlics – sliced
1 inch ginger – sliced
11/2 tbsp chilli paste (if you want more spicy)
80 cents Indian chicken curry power (buy from wet market and ask then to customize it for you) – mixed with some water to form a smooth paste
6 green cardamons pods
2 cinnamon sticks
2 star anise
2 sprigs curry leaves
1) In a deep bowl, marinade chicken drumsticks and wings with 1 tbsp of the curry paste, 1/2 tsp of salt and corn flour for 30 minutes.
2) Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a wok and saute cardamon, star anise, cinnamon stick, cloves and curry leaves until aromatic. Add curry paste and and continue to saute till well mixed over low heat till fragrant.
3) Add marinated chickens parts, potatoes, kelo and stir to mix evenly, add water, chicken cube and bring to a boil on high heat. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4) Add coconut milk, tomato paste , stir to mix, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes or till chicken and potatoes are cooked through, add cashew powder and add more water if the gravy is too thick. (depends on how thick you want the gravy to be). Season with salt and sugar, taste accordingly.
5) Serve hot with rice or roti prata.