4 pieces White Fish Fillets – cut into 1/2 inch thick strips, washed, cleaned
Juice of 2 Lemons
300 g fish paste (can be bought from wet market)
1 tbsp Masala Powder
1 tbsp chilli powder
1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced shallots
1 tsp minced chilli padi
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp minced mint leaves
Salt to taste
1 egg – lightly beaten
Flour Coating Mixture (combined)
200 g self raising flour
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1/4 tsp each – salt, pepper and bicarbonate powder
1 tbsp Masala powder
80 g self raising flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Oil as required
1. Mix lemon juice and marinade ingredients in a bowl.
2. Marinate the fish strips in this for an hour or two in the fridge.
3. Remove the fish from the marinade and keep aside to remove excess marinade.
4. Wrapped fish strips with fish paste and shape to your preference.
5. Just before frying coat the fish fingers with flour coating mixture. Dip into batter mixture and drop into hot oil. Fry over medium heat for 1 minute and reduce heat to moderate and cook until crispy and golden.
6. Remove and drain excess oil.
7. Serve hot with sambal belacan or tomato ketchup or chilli sauce.