300 g mangkuang/jicama – peeled and slice thinly into fine thin threads or shredded
1/2 carrot – shredded
1/2 small cabbage – shredded
3-4 pieces small dried cuttlefish – soaked till soft and shredded thinly
4 dried shitake mushroom – soaked till soft and shredded
4 cloves garlics – minced
1 tbsp dried shrimp – soaked till soft and minced coarsely
1/2 tbsp abalone sauce
1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp white pepper
Salt and sugar to taste
50 ml water
1) Heat oil in a wok and saute garlic till fragrant, add in cuttlefish, dried shrimp and mushroom, stir fry till aromatic and soft.
2) Add in shredded cabbage, carrots, mangkuang and fry till cooked. Add in seasoning ingredients and water, stir to mix evenly, cover and simmer over low heat till gravy thickens. Taste accordingly and adjust to your preference.
3) Serve wrapped with lettuce leaves and Sambal Belacan.
2 small cuttlefish/1 big cuttlefish
1/2 cucumber – de-seeded and cut into strips
1/2 carrot – cut into strips
12-14 dried chillies (cut into halves)
1 onion – cut into cubes
2 stalks spring onion – cut into 4 cm in lengthwise
5 slices ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp oil
Sauce Ingredients (combined together)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 tbsp thick dark soy sauce
1 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tsp black vinegar
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp Hua tiao jiu/Shaoxing jiu
Dash of pepper
100 ml chicken stock
1 tbsp Lingham Chilli sauce (optional)
1/2 tbsp corn flour
1) Wash the cuttlefish, remove the transparent layer of the skin. Wth a sharp knife, at a slant, make shallow criss-cross cuts on the inside surface of the cuttlefish. The cuttlefish will curl with an attractive pattern (after blancing in boiling water).
2) Cut the cuttlefish into pieces and blanch in boiling water for about a minute, drain set aside.
3) Heat oil in a wok, fry the dried chillies for a seconds or two. Dish out leaving the oil in the wok. Heat oil again and saute ginger and garlics till fragrant, add in the sauce ingredients. Stir fry to mix for a seconds and simmer till sauce thickens. Add in the onion, cucumber, carrot, spring onion and cuttlefish.
4) Stir fry briskly over high heat until well combined. Dish to serving plate and serve hot.