For the Buns
500 g bread flour
10 g yeast
2 tbsp milk powder
60 g icing sugar
1/2 tsp salt
60 g butter
280 ml water
1 large egg
30 f vegetable shortening
80 g icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 large egg
200 g All purpose flour
1 egg (lightly beaten and sieve)
1 tbsp fresh milk
Grated cheese (optional)
1) Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk powder and yeast till combine. Add water and egg to flour mixture and use a dough hook to knead on medium speed till combine (about 5 minutes).
2) Gradually, add in butter and knead with hands till smooth and elastic (should be shining and elastic, kneading time is about 10-15 minutes).
3) Leave dough to proof for about 40 minutes or double in size.
1) Beat butter, vanilla essence and sugar till light, add in egg and fold in flour. Refrigerate the dough in the fridge for 15-20 minutes for easier handling.
To make the bun
1) Weigh each bread dough into 50 g and mold into a ball. Leave to proof for about 45 minutes or double in size. Glaze it with egg wash.
2) Divide the toppings into 20-30 g each. On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin and roll it out thinly to form a circle.
3) Gently place the pastry topping on top of the glazed bun. Glaze again and topped with cheese (optional).
4) Bake at 210 C for about 15-20 minutes.