1 garoupa / sea bass fish approximately 800 g – 1.0 kg
2 tbsp oil
4-6 dried shitake mushrooms – soaked and finely chopped
1-2 red chillies, seeded and finely minced
6-8 cloves garlics – finely minced
2 slices ham – chopped (optional)
1 stalk spring onion – shredded thinly
2 sprigs coriander leaves – chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup chicken stock ( add more if you want more gravy)
21/2 tsp light soy sauce
1/4 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
(taste accordingly and adjust to your preference)
1) Clean fish, trim the fins, tail and cut off the head. Using a sharp knife, thinly cut diagonally from the base to within an inch of the top of the fish’s body. Spread the pieces around a steaming plate. Place the head on top.
2) Heat oil in frying pan and stir fry minced mushrooms for about 1 minute until fragrant, add in chilli, ham and half of the minced garlic, stir fry till golden brown.
3) Dish out into combined sauce ingredients. Stir in remaining minced garlic and pour over the fish.
4) Steam over rapidly boiling water for about 12-15 minutes or till fish is cooked through.
5) Garnish with shredded spring onions and coriander leaves/