1 garoupa / sea bass fish approximately 800 g – 1.0 kg
2 tbsp oil
4-6 dried shitake mushrooms – soaked and finely chopped
1-2 red chillies, seeded and finely minced
6-8 cloves garlics – finely minced
2 slices ham – chopped (optional)
1 stalk spring onion – shredded thinly
2 sprigs coriander leaves – chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup chicken stock ( add more if you want more gravy)
21/2 tsp light soy sauce
1/4 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
(taste accordingly and adjust to your preference)
1) Clean fish, trim the fins, tail and cut off the head. Using a sharp knife, thinly cut diagonally from the base to within an inch of the top of the fish’s body. Spread the pieces around a steaming plate. Place the head on top.
2) Heat oil in frying pan and stir fry minced mushrooms for about 1 minute until fragrant, add in chilli, ham and half of the minced garlic, stir fry till golden brown.
3) Dish out into combined sauce ingredients. Stir in remaining minced garlic and pour over the fish.
4) Steam over rapidly boiling water for about 12-15 minutes or till fish is cooked through.
5) Garnish with shredded spring onions and coriander leaves/
500 g sliced garoupa fish
5 pcs dried shitake mushrooms (soaked till soft)
150g chicken ham
2 pcs bamboo shoots
1/2 carrot- sliced thinly
2 tbps corn oil
2 tbsp Hua tiao jiu (chinese cooking wine)
1 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp Hua Tiao jiu (chinese cooking wine)
shredded spring onions
1 tbsp wolfberries (soaked in water)
1) Slice bamboo shoots and mushrooms thinly
2) Slice chicken ham thinly.
3) In a mixing bowl, mix the sauce ingredients well.
4) In a steaming plate, arrange fish slice, ham, mushrooms, carrots and bamboo shoots in an alternating pattern. Repeat till it encircles the plate.
5) Spoon the sauce over the fish. Sprinkle with some wolfberries. Steam over rapidly boiling water for 4-5 minutes or till the fish is cooked. Topped with shredded spring onions.
6) Heat up corn oil till smoking hot and pour over the fish, serve immediately.
PANDAN COTTON CAKE
85 g cake flour/plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
5 egg yolks
60 ml coconut oil or vegetable oil
45 ml fresh milk or coconut milk
45 ml homemade concentrated pandan juice (blend 18 pandan leaves with 150 ml water
5 egg white
65 g caster sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar or 1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
Utensil : 7 inch square pan
- Line the bottom cake pan with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- Preheat oven to 160C (Top & bottom heat)
- Shift flour & salt. Set aside.
- Combine fresh milk and pandan paste in a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in sauce pan over low heat until it bubbles, then add in the shifted flour mixture and mix well with a hand a whisk. Remove from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl. Then add in milk and pandan mixture, mix with spatula until all incorporated. Gradually add in the egg yolk, stirring with a spatula or hand whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg white and cream of tartar or lemon juice until foamy. Gradually add in sugar and whisk until firm peaks formed (firm peaks is between soft peaks and stiff peaks).
- Fold 1/3 meringue into the egg mixture gently until just combined, then fold in another 1/3 of meringue and finally add in the balance of meringue and fold until combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pans and tap pan lightly to remove air bubbles. Place the cake pan in a bigger pan filling with hot water until ¼ full.
- Baked in water bath at 160C for 70 minutes. If you see the cakes start to crack, reduce the temperature lower to 150C. Remove water bath at the last 10 minutes so that the sides of the cake will not be too wet. If your cake still wet at the sides, leave cake inside with oven off and door closed for another 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from the oven and tap the pan on a table top a few times immediately. This will prevent cake from sinking. Invert the cake to cool (turn the cake over upside down in the pan and prop it up so there is space at the bottom for the cake to cool).
- Unmold the cake after 30 minutes. To remove the cake from the pan, run a thin-bladed knife around the inside of the pan and invert the cake on non-stick baking paper. Peel off baking paper from the base and re-invert onto a rack to cool.
COCONUT GULA MELAKA MOUSSE LAYER
30 g gelatin powder
70 ml hot water
350 ml vegetable whipping cream
1 packet (200 g) chendol
75 g gula melaka (palm sugar), chopped
245 ml fresh coconut milk
3 pandan leaves, tied into a knot
1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- Dissolve the gelatin powder in hot water and stir until all dissolve.
- Drain chendol in a sift or strainer.
- In a sauce pan, add coconut milk, gula melaka, pandan leaves and salt. Bring to boil over low heat and cook until all gula melaka is melted. Stir in the gelatin powder mixture and mix until well combined. Strain the mixture through a sieve into a jar. Place the jar inside a big bowl of ice water to bring down to room temperature if the mixture is too hot.
- In a bowl of stand mixer, whisk the whipping cream until firm peaks. Please do not over beat as the milk and butter will be separated.
- Slowly pour in the gelatin and coconut mixture into the whipping cream. Mix until well combined.
ASSEMBLE THE CHENDOL CAKE
- Line the bottom and sides of the square pan with parchment paper. Line the sides of the pan for easier un molding.
- Trim off the dome/top of the cake. Slice into 3 pieces.
- Divide the mouse mixture into 4 portions, about 240 g each.
- Pour 240 g mousse mixture into the cake pan and level it. Place the first slice of the cake on top of the mousse and slightly press the cake.
- Pour second layer of mousse (240 g) onto the cake and level it. Place the second slice of the cake.
- Continue with 3rd layer of mousse and cake. Then finish with 4th layer of mousse.
- Store in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight before cutting.
- To unmold the cake, invert the cake on non-stick baking paper on a board. Peel off baking paper from the base and sides. Re-invert onto a cake board or plate. Trim off the sides of the cakes and cut into your desired size.