500 g glutinous rice
350 ml coconut milk
1/2 tsp of salt
2-3 pieces pandan leaves – shredded
a bit of blue coloring or blue pea flower soaked in water
300 g grated white coconut
120 g gula melaka
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
50 g small rock sugar
100 ml water
Banana leaves (scalded in hot water till soft)
1) Soak glutinous rice for about 1-2 hours. Drain and steam with pandan leaves and salt for about 15-20 minutes or till tender. Remove from heat and add in coconut milk, stir with chopstick to mix well with the rice. Slowly sprinkle the blue colouring all over the rice.
2) Transfer back to heat again and steam for a further 10-15 minutes or till cooked. Leave to cool.
1) In a saucepan, add in gula melaka, rock sugar, brown sugar and 100 ml water,cook over low heat till sugar dissolves, strain the mixture.
2) Combine shredded white coconut and salt with the sugar syrup and cook over low heat till dry but not burnt. Set aside.
1) Place 2 tbsps of the glutinous rice at the center of the a piece of banana leaf (13 x 15 cm) and top with 1 tbsp of coconut fillings. Fold up the sides to the center to overlap slightly.