250 g rice flour
2 tbsp glutinous rice flour
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp Instant yeast
220 ml coconut juice
100 ml lukewarm water
125 ml coconut milk
Bunga telang juice or blue colouring
4 tbsp durian paste (remove from 5 durian seeds – mashed into paste)
150 g shaved gula melaka
150 ml thick coconut milk
200 ml water
2 pandan leaves
2 tbsps rice flour
pinch of salt
1) Combine all the ingredients (except bunga telang juice) in a bowl and stir with a wire whisk. Leave to ferment for about 1 – 2 hours or overnight in a refrigerator.
2) Grease and heat a small non stick skillet over low heat. Slowly pour 1-11/2 tbsps of the batter in a circle. Add a drop of bunga telang juice in the middle of the batter. Cooked over low heat and top layer dries up, apam is cooked. Remove from pan (Repeat till batter is used up) If you have the mould, fill the mould 3/4 full with the batter.
3) Heat apam over low heat till holes appear and apam is cooked. Unmould and repeat step 2 and 3 till batter is used up. (this is for the mould).
1) Bring gula melaka, water, salt and pandan leaves to a boil.
2) Add thick coconut milk and rice flour, stir over heat till sauce thickens. Add in durian paste and stir to combine evenly.
3) Remove from heat immediately after it boils.
Place apam on a saucer and top with durian sauce.