90 g shredded gula melaka
30 g brown sugar
200 ml coconut milk
4 pieces pandan leaves – shredded and tied into knots
A pinch of salt
5 egg yolks
1) Cook gula melaka, coconut milk, pinch of salt, brown sugar and pandan leaves over medium heat, stirring constantly, still just starting to simmer gently. Turn off heat.
2) In a mixing bowl, whip egg yolks and pour half of the coconut mixture into egg yolk mixture while stirring the mixture at the same time.
3) Pour the egg yolk mixture into the remaining half of the coconut milk mixture at one go.
4) Over medium heat, cook the combined mixture till slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low, continue stirring till mixture is thick enough to coat sides of the pot thickly.
5) Discard pandan leaves. Transfer to a bowl or bottle. Leave to cool completely and stored in a unused jam bottle.
6) Cover and refrigerate, can store up to a week.