140 g Roasted Green Peas (pounded finely)
130 g Peanut Powder
2 tbsp Roasted Red Bean Powder (Pounded finely and sieve)
160 g Icing Sugar
1/2 tsp salt
340 g Self Raising Flour (sieve flour with salt)
300 ml Peanut Oil
1 egg + 1/2 tsp water – for glazing
1) In a mixing boil, add in flour, icing sugar, pea, peanut and red bean powder. mix all ingredients thoroughly.
2) Add oil sparingly and slowly, mix till dough does not stick to the hands. Rest the dough in the fridge for 20 minutes covered.
3) Shape dough with your prefer design cutters and brush with egg wash. Arrange on parchment lined baking tray.
4) Baked in pre heated oven 180 C for 20 minutes, allow cookies to cool on tray for about 10 minutes before removing them onto a wire rack to cool completely,
5) Store in air tight container.
Ingredients for Pastry (35-40 pcs)
125 g unsalted butter
10 g icing sugar
1 large egg
250 g All Purpose Flour
20 g Corn flour
1 tbsp milk powder
1 tbsp Custard Powder
2 tbsp grated gula melaka
1 egg yolk + 1 tbsp water – egg wash
1) Mix butter, icing sugar and gula melaka, beat over medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in egg, whisk till well blended on medium speed.
2) Mix in all dry ingredients (sifted), mix well to form a dough. Cover and keep refrigerated for 1 hour.
Gula Melaka and Coconut Mixture Ingredients
200 g gula melaka – shaved
50 g castor sugar
3 pieces pandan leave -knotted
120 g fresh shredded white coconut
Method for coconut with Gula Melaka
1) In a saucepan, add gula melaka, sugar and pandan leaves. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, discard pandan leave and sieve the mixture to remove any impurities. Add in fresh shredded coconut and cook for 5-10 minutes. Set aside to cool completely.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out to a depth of about 1/2cm (1/5in). Remember to place cling film on the dough before rolling.
- Dust a small amount of flour on the surface of your pastry and very lightly spread it out with your fingers. This will aid in the pastry not sticking to the cutter.
- Using your cutter, cut out shapes (dip in flour!) and place on cookie sheet.
- Preheat oven to 160˚C/310˚F – 170 C.
- Fill the tart shells with Gula Melaka and Coconut , being careful not to overfill them, they look rather unsightly when the filling is bulging out almost like a ball, as many people like doing.
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes until a pale golden colour, not brown.Remove from oven and sprinkle with some cooked white shredded coconut and egg wash before putting back to the oven and bake for a further 5 minutes. Cool on a baking rack.
- When cool, store in an airtight container at room temperature, every layer lined with baking/parchment paper to prevent sticking. They will keep for 2-3 weeks easily, that is, if they don’t get eaten up first!
200 g chicken breast meat – remove skin
100 g chicken thigh – remove skin
(minced them manually or use a food processor, pulse to mince the meat. season with a bit of salt and corn flour)
50 castor sugar
2 tbsp Honey
1 tbsp corn oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp fish sauce
1 Tbs light soy sauce
1 Tbs oyster sauce
1/2 tsp five spice powder
2 drops of Chinese rose wine
1/2 Tbs Shaoxing Jiu
1 tbsp Thai Red Meat Seasoning/ a pinch of red coloring
(Equipment needed: baking paper and a baking tray measuring 35.5cm by 25cm by 1.5cm deep.)
Glazing – 1 tbsp honey mixed with 1 tbsp oil
1) In a mixing bowl, add in the seasoning ingredients and mix well. Add in the minced meat, stir to mix till meat is well combined with the seasoning
2) Leave the chicken meat to marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
3) Preheat the oven to 160 deg C. (top and bottom)
4) Line the tray with a sheet of baking paper.
5) Spread the chicken meat over the bottom of the tray. Aim for a thickness of about 5mm (thickness to your preference)
6) Place the tray in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
7). Remove from the oven. Slice the meat with a knife. Reset the oven to 220 C
14. Place the tray back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
15. Remove from the oven, turn over the bak kwa slices, brush with honey mixed with oil and bake for another 5-8 minutes.
16. Remove from oven, place on wire rack and allow to cool completely. Store in an air-tight container.