1 kg small squid – cleaned and make 2 slits on the body
(season with 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp corn flour and a tbsp of fish curry powder)
Salt to taste
1/2 tbsp sugar
2 sprigs of curry leaves
1 big yellow onion – sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic – sliced thinly
3 shallots – sliced thinly
2 fresh green chilli – sliced
2 fresh red chilli – sliced
1 tsp mustard & cummin seed (mixed)
2 tomato – quartered
2 potato – peeled and cut into small cube (deep fry till 1/2 cooked, drained and set aside)
2 tbsp garam masala powder
1 tbsp fish curry powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
(mixed with water to form a paste)
Sliced green and red chilli for toppings
1) Blanch marinated squids in boiling water for 5 seconds, drained and set aside.
2) In a wok or pan, heat oil add mustard and cummin seeds, allow to splutter. Add curry leaves and all the sliced ingredients, saute till aromatic and onion become soft.
3) Add in tomato and fry till tomato is soft, add in curry paste mixture and stir fry
over low heat for about 8 minutes. Add in fry potatoes and 50 ml water, simmer over low heat for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and sugar to taste. Adjust to your preference.
3) Add the squids to the curry gravy, stir to combine well and cooked over low heat for about 2 minutes. (do not add water as this is a dry curry)
4) Transfer to serving plate and topped with sliced green and red chilli.