230 g unsalted butter
80 g castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
6 egg yolks
180 g Self Raising Flour
1/4 tsp Double Acting Baking powder
1 tbsp milo powder
1/2 tsp salt
(sieve flour, milo powder, salt and baking powder together 2 x)
70 ml fresh milk
21/2 tbsp gula melaka
(Heat fresh milk till hot and add in gula melaka, stir till melt completely and sieve it)
6 egg whites
70 g castor sugar
1) Whisk butter and sugar till light and fluffy, add egg yolk one at a time and beat it in before adding the next.
2) Add in vanilla essence and fold in flour mixture and milk mixture in following sequence : flour >milk>flour>milk>flour till finish. Fold till just incorporated.
3) In a clean mixing bowl, whisk egg whites till foamy m add in sugar gradually and whisk till stiff peaks form.
4) Transfer 1/3 of the meringue into yolk mixture. Beat it in. Gently fold in the remaining meringue in 2 batches until mix with spatula till incorporated.
5) Pour mixture into a lined and greased 8x 8″ cake pan. Bake at 170 C for 45 minutes.
Cake is done (when skewer insert in the cake comes up clean, it is done), let cake rest for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.