5 egg yolks
120 g cake flour – sifted
40 g castor sugar
80 ml corn oil
90 ml mixed berries yogurt smootie (MBYS)
2 tbsp fresh strawberry bits
Pinch of salt
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
90 g castor sugar
1) In a mixing bowl, beat egg yolk and castor sugar till light and creamy, add in oil and salt, continue to beat till incorporate well. Add in strawberry bits and MBYS alternate with flour – flour >mbys>flour>mbys>flour till finish. Mix well till just combine.
2) In a clean mixing bowl, whisk egg white until foamy, add cream of tartar and continue whisking. Gradually add sugar, whisking all the time till egg whites form a stiff peak.
3) Fold 1/3 of the meringue to yolk mixture, beat it in. Gently fold the remaining meringue in 2 batches until no white streaks remain.
4) Transfer the cake mixture into an ungreased tube pan and bake at 165-170 C for about 40-45 minutes. Place a sheet of aluminium foil on top if it browns too fast.
5) Once baked, invert the pan and place it on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.