300 g glutinous rice flour
200 g sweet potatoes
2 tbsp Tapioca flour
10 pandan leaves
A few drops of green food colouring
Pinch of salt
200 g Gula Melaka
(grated and mixed with 2 tbsp castor sugar)
250 g grated white coconut
1) Steamed white grated coconut with 2 pieces pandan leaves and a pinch of salt for 10 minutes. Leave aside to cool.
2) Skin sweet potatoes and steam for 15-20 minutes or until cooked. Mash while still hot.
3) Crushed pandan leaves until fine. Add water to make 200 ml pandan juice. Sift, add pinch of salt and green coloring.
4) In a mixing bowl, add sieve glutinous flour and tapioca flour. Add in mashed sweet potatoes and pour in pandan water, mix and knead till dough is smooth, soft in texture and not sticky. Add more water if it is too dry.
5) Form in marble or your desire size balls. Flatten each ball lightly and fill with a teaspoon of gula melaka. Press edges together and shape into small ball.
6) Drop into boiling water, a few at a time, when cooked, glutinous rice balls will rise to the surface. Dish out with a perforated ladle and roll into steamed grated coconut.