(makes 36 pieces)
70 g butter
60 g margarine
1 egg yolk
1/2 egg white
225 g plain flour
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp iced water/milk
1/2 tsp salt
Pineapple Fillings (can prepare 1 day before)
2 pineapples – remove , peel and eyes . Chopped roughly/grated
150 g sugar – to your preference
a pinch of salt
1/2 cinnamom stick (optional) *
2 cloves – (optional)*
1 star anise (optional ) *
(I omit *)
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp fresh milkl/water
1) Pre heat oven to 170 C.
2) Sieve flour and salt in a mixing bowl, rub butter and margarine into flour till sandy texture.
3) Beat egg and egg white lightly, add vanilla essence and iced water/milk. Add the mixture to flour, mix the dough till firm and cover with cling film. Chill in fridge for 1/2 hour.
4) Remove from fridge and weigh 13 g each, use a tart cutter, place the small dough on the cutter and press lightly to seal, then press out the dough from the cutter (may roll the dough into thin sheet then use cutter to cut out the shape.
5) Place the tart on baking tray lined with baking sheet. Repeat the rest till finished, keep a small portion for decoration (optional). Egg wash the tarts on the surface.
6) As for pineapple fillings, weight 10 g each, roll into ball, lightly press the pineapple fillings onto the tarts, repeat the rest till finished.
7) Bake for 20-25 minutes or till light golden brown, turn tarts out to cool on a wire rack before storing in air tight container.
Pineapples Filling Method
1) Cook pineapples and salt (star anise, clove & cinnamon stick) over medium heat. Add sugar and stir constantly until the mixture is sticky and thick ( takes up to 1-1/2 hours).
2) Cool or store overnight in fridge for use later.