Egg Yolk mixture
125 g butter
40 g castor sugar
90 g brown sugar
2 large egg yolk
120 ml fresh milk/whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla essence
180 g Self Raising Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
(Sieve flour, salt and baking powder together 2 times)
1/2 cup shredded carrot
A handful of pistachio nuts – chopped roughly
2 large egg whites
50 g castor sugar
1) Pre heat oven to 180 C and grease loaf tin (9 x 4 inch) with butter, lined with baking paper.
2) Add 2 tbsp of self raising flour to pistachio nuts, mix well.
3) In a mixing bowl, cream butter with brown sugar and castor sugar till light and fluffy. Add in vanilla essence, mix well and add in egg yolk one at a time and mix to well combined. Add in flour mixture alternate milk : flour >milk>flour>milk . Mix well.
4) Add in carrot and pistachio nuts, stir to mix well. Set aside.
5) In a clean mixing bowl, cream egg white till foamy, add in sugar gradually and beat till stiff peak forms. Add 1/2 of the meringue to egg yolk mixture, gently fold in with spatula. Then pour the yolk mixture to the remaining meringue and fold in gently.
6) Pour mixture to line loaf tin and bake for 60 minutes or till cake is cooked through. (skewer comes out clean).
7) Remove the cake from oven and rest for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack to cool completely.