1/2 cup white fresh shredded coconut (white part)
1 tbsp tamarind paste (mixed with 2 tbsp water)
2 stalks lemongrass
4 cloves garlic
3 pieces candlenut
1 inch galangal
1 inch ginger
1 inch turmeric
5 fresh red chilli
8-10 red chilli padi
1 tbsp dried shrimp
1 inch toasted belacan
50 ml water
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp gula melaka
1 tsp sugar
Salt to taste
1) Heat oil in a wok and saute blended ingredients till aromatic, add in shredded coconut, tamarind water and seasoning ingredients. Stir to combine well and continue to cook over low medium heat, stirring occasionally.
2) Cook until sauce becomes thick, a bit dry and oil floats on top. Off heat and set aside to cool.
To Stuffed Sambal Coconut to Fried Fish
4 -5 fresh Ikan Selar/Cencaru
(cleaned and make slit on both side on the back of fish)
– Season with a bit of salt, turmeric powder and corn flour for 30 minutes.
5 pieces pandan leaves
1) Heat enough oil in a wok and deep fry fish till just cooked, drained and set aside.
2) Stuffed the fried Sambal Coconut to the slits of the Selar back. Wrapped with a pandan leaf and secure with toothpick.
3) Lined a baking tray with aluminium foil and lay a piece of banana leaf over it, arrange the fish on it and bake in pre heat oven (200 C) for 15- 20 minutes. Serve hot with calamansi.