Egg Yolk Mixture
5 egg yolks
200 g unsalted butter
100 g castor sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp Double Action Baking Powder (0r 11/2 tsp baking powder)
170 g cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
11/2 tbsp Milo Powder
(sieve flour, milo, salt and baking powder twice, set aside)
100 ml fresh milk
3 tbsp Kelloggs Instant Oatmeal
(Bring milk to a boil, add in oatmeal and stir oatmeal soften, set aside)
5 egg whites
70 g castor sugar
1) Pre heat oven to 165 C.
2) In a mixing bowl, whisk butter and sugar till light and creamy. Scrape the side occasionally. Add in egg yolk one at a time and beat it in before adding the next. Beat in the vanilla essence.
3) Add in the 1/2 of the oatmeal mixture, followed by 1/2 of the flour mixture, mix well. Add in the remaining flour mixture and oatmeal mixture, fold until incorporated, scrape the bowl and give a final mix. Set aside.
4) In a clean mixing bowl, whisk egg white till foamy, slowly and gradually add in sugar , whisk till stiff peak forms. Transfer 1/3 of the meringue to egg yolk mixture, beat this in. Gently fold the remaining meringue in 2 batches until all the egg whites has been incorporated.
5) Pour into greased and lined 8″ round pan and bake in pre heated oven for 40-45 minutes or when cake is cooked through skewer insert comes out clean).
6) Cool cake in pan for 5 – 8 minutes before transferring it onto a cooling rack to cool immediately.