5 egg yolk (large)
230 g unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
70 ml fresh milk
70 g castor sugar
180 g Self Raising flour
1/2 tsp double action baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
(Sieve flour, salt & baking powder together 2 x)
5 egg whites
80 g castor sugar
Milo Coco paste
3 tbsp milo powder
1 tsp dark coco emulco
2 tbsp warm water
1) Line a grease bottom of 8″x 8″ square pan and pre heat oven to 170 C.
2) In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add egg yolk one at a time and mix well until fully combined. Add in vanilla essence and continue to beat till thick and fluffy.
3) Fold in flour mixture and milk in the following sequence : flour >milk>flour>milk >flour mixing until the flour has just been incorporated. Set aside.
4) In a clean mixing bowl, beat egg whites fill foamy and gradually add in sugar and whisk till stiff peak forms. Transfer 1/3 of the meringue to egg yolk mixture, gently fold in with a spatula till well combined. Pour the batter to remaining meringue and gently fold in till just incorporated and no white streaks remain.
5) Divide batter to 2 equal portions, add milo coco mixture into one portion and mix till well combined. Pour about 1 ladle full of batter into baking pan alternatively until complete. Tap gently on flat table top to release air bubble.
6) Bake in pre heated oven for 40-45 minutes. Once baked, cooled the cake in pan for about 8 minutes before transferring to cooling rack to cool completely.