Egg yolk mixture
220 g unsalted butter
30 g cream cheese
60 g castor sugar
5 egg yolk (large)
1 tsp vanilla essence
250 g self raising flour
1/2 tsp baking flour
1/4 tsp salt
(sieve flour, salt & baking powder 2-3 times)
5 tbsp fresh milk
3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
(mixed with 1 tbsp hot water)
5 egg whites
50 g castor sugar
7 “x 7″ square pan or 8” round pan
1) In a mixing bowl, cream together butter, cream cheese and sugar till mixture turns light and fluffy. Add in egg yolk one at a time and mix till each is completely incorporate before adding the next.
2) Add in vanilla essence, stir to just mix. Add the flour and milk in sequence: flour-milk-flour-milk, mixing until the flour has just been incorporated. Set aside.
3) In a clean mixing bowl, whisk egg whites till foamy, gradually add in sugar and beat till stiff peak forms. Transfer 1/3 of the meringue to egg yolk mixture and beat it in. Gently fold the remaining meringue to yolk mixture and mix till no white streaks remain.
4) Separate mixture into 2 portions. One portion, stir in peanut butter and mix till well combined. Spoon in plain and peanut butter mixture in a greased lined cake pan alternately until finish. (this is to create zebra pattern).
5) Bake in pre heated oven (170C) for 40-50 minutes or until cake is done (when skewer insert comes out clean).
6) Once baked, cool the cake in pan for about 5-8 minutes before transferring it onto a cooling rack to cool completely.