Egg Yolk Mixture
240 g salted butter
4 egg yolks
90 g castor sugar
180 g self raising flour
(sieve the flour 2-3 times)
60 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
Zest of 1 orange
1 tsp orange extract
4 egg whites
60 g castor sugar
1) In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar till light and creamy. Add egg yolk one at a time and beat it in before adding the next.Beat in the orange extract and zest and mix to combine well.
2) Add the flour and orange juice sequence : flour-juice-flour-juice, mixing until the flour has just been incorporated. Set aside.
3) In a clean mixing bowl, whisk egg whites till foamy. Gradually add in sugar and beat till stiff peaks form. Add 1/3 of the meringue to yolk mixture and beat it in. Gently fold the remaining meringue to yolk batter and mix till no white streaks remains.
4) Pour the batter into a lined & greased 8″ round cake pan, smooth the top. Baked in a pre heated (170 C) for 35-40 minutes or until cake is done (skewer comes out clean).
5) Let it est for 5 minutes in the pan before carefully transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.