1 Royal Gala Red Apple
(remove skin and core and chopped into fine pieces)
4 large egg yolk
30 g castor sugar
3 tbsp corn oil
3 tbsp fresh milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp salt
80 g Cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
(sieve flour, salt and baking powder together)
4 egg whites
60 g castor sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1) In a mixing bowl, beat together egg yolk and sugar till mixture turns pale, add in the corn oil, vanilla essence and continue beating. Fold in flour and milk till well corporated. Add in apple bits and mix till well combined.
2) In a clean mixing bowl, whisk egg white till frothy, add in cream of tartar and whisk until soft peaks form. Gradually add in sugar and whisk until stiff peaks form.
3) Transfer 1/3 of the meringue to yolk mixtures, beat it in. Gently fold in the remaining meringue to yolk mixture in 2 batches , mix till no white streaks remain.
4) Pour the batter into a 8 x 8 in square pan (lined with greased parchment paper). Bang on flat table top 3 x to release air bubbles.
5) Bake at pre-heatedu oven (170 C) for 40 minutes or till cake is done.
6) Let it rest on pan for 8 minutes before transferring onto wire rack to cool completely.