220 g unsalted butter
90 g castor sugar
4 egg yolks
200 g self-raising flour
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
60 ml fresh milk
1/2 tsp salt
10g coco powder
10 g milo powder
(mixed with 1 tbsp hot water)
4 egg whites
60 g castor sugar
1) Sift flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
2) Cream sugar and butter until light and creamy, add in egg yolk one at a time and beat each one into batter before adding the next.Add in vanilla essence and beat it in.
3) Fold in 1/2 of the flour, follow by all of the milk, then the rest of the flour. Mix just until all the flour has been incorporated into the mixture.
4) Transfer 1/3 of the batter into a bowl and add in the coco & milo paste. Mix till well combined. The remaining 2/3 of the batter set aside.
5) In a clean mixing bowl, whisk egg whites till foamy, add in sugar gradually and whisk until stiff peak forms. Add 1/3 of the meringue into coco & milo batter, fold this in. Fold the remaining meringue to the white batter. Mix it in gently till no white streaks.
6) Using a small round soup ladle, ladle 1 scoop of white mixture in the centre of a 8 ” lined greased cake pan, then add 1 scoop of the coco & milo mixture on top and repeat till all the mixture has been used up. Bang on a flat table top a few times to remove any big bubbles.
7) Bake in a pre-heated oven (170C) for 35-40 minutes or until cake is done (a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes up clean).
8) Let it rest for 5 minutes in the pan before carefully transferring onto a wire rack to cool completely.