Egg yolks mixture
5 egg yolks
140 g gula melaka – shredded
100 ml coconut milk
3 pieces pandan leaves – tied into knots
50 ml corn oil
90 g superfine flour
10 g glutinous rice flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
100 g cendol strips
Egg White mixture
5 egg white
50 g castor sugar
1 tsp cream of tartar
1) Mix coconut milk, pandan leaves and gula melaka in a saucepan and bring to simmer until gula melaka has dissolves totally. Sieve and let it cool down.
2) Sieve flour, glutinous rice flour, salt and baking powder together and set aside.
3) Whisk egg yolk and gula melaka till well mixed, add corn oil and stir well. Add in flour and stir untl well combined, add in cendol strips, mix in gently. Set aside.
4) In a separate mixing bowl, beat egg white till frothy, add in cream of tartar and whisk till soft peak, add in sugar gradually and beat until stiff peak forms.
5) Add 1/3 of the meringue to yolk mixture and fold it in slowly till well combined. Pour the mixtures to the remaining meringue and fold in till no white streaks.
6) Pour mixture to UNGREASED 21cm tube pan and smooth surface. Bang on table top a few times to release air bubbles.
7) Bake in pre-heated oven (160 C) for 40 minutes or until cake is done. Remove from oven and inverted immediately on wire rack.