225 g unsalted butter
200 g self raising flour
(sift with 1/8 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt)
60 ml fresh milk
1 tsp baking powder
200 g sugar
4 egg yolks
150 g sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
4 egg whites
50 g castor sugar
1) Preheat oven to 160-165 C
2) Lightly grease (8″ x 8″, loaf pan) with some butter.
3) Use a electric hand beater to mix butter and sugar until well combined or pale yellow in colour. Add in 1st egg yolk. Beat well after each addition of egg until creamy. Scrape down the sides for even mixing. Add vanilla essence and mix well.
4) Fold in flour into the mixture and mix well. Finally add in milk and mix well.
5) In a clean mixing bowl, beat egg whites till foamy and gradually add in sugar and whisk till stiff peaks.
6) Transfer 1/3 of the meringue to yolk mixture and beat it in. Gently fold the remaining meringue in 2 batches until all egg whites have been incorporated.
7) Pour the mixture into the greased baking pan. Shake it gently to distribute the cake mixture evenly.
5) Bake until golden brown and cooked, about 40-45 minutes. Use a skewer to test if it is cooked. Remove from the oven and let it cool on the wire rack for another 5 minutes.
6) Serve warm.