3 chicken whole legs and 6 mid joint wings
4 potato – peeled and cut into small quarters (optional)
2 red chillies – sliced thinly
1 stalk lemongrass – bruised
2 pieces pandan leaves – tied into a knot
4 pieces kaffir leaves and 1 small turmeric leaf – shredded thinly
1 cinnamon stick
5 cardamon pods
1 tbsp gula melaka
Salt and sugar to taste
1 tsp Knorr Haochi Seasoning powder
1 tsp tamarind paste (mixed with 1 tbsp water)
1 grated fresh coconut – used 1/4 of it to make kerisik
125 ml coconut milk from the balance of the 3/4 coconut
4 stalks lemongrass
1 red onion & 5 shallots
4 cloves garlic
4 pieces candle nut
2 inch fresh turmeric
2 inch galangal
1/2 inch ginger
3-4 tbsp chilli paste (add more if you want more spicy)
3 tbsp Chicken curry powder
3 pieces kaffir leaves
turmeric leaf – roughly tear
1) Clean chicken legs and cut to size of your choice. Season chicken parts and mid-wings with salt, turmeric powder and corn flour for 30 minutes. Deep fry till 1/2 cooked, drain and set aside. Use the same oil to deep fry potato till 1/2 cook, drain and set aside.
2) Pound the toasted coconut till fine and set aside.
3) Heat oil in a wok and add in cinnamon stick, cardomon pods, pandan leaves, blended ingredients, curry powder, sliced chillies, bruised lemongrass and saute till aromatic and oil separates. Add in tamarind water, coconut milk, kaffir and turmeric leaves, chicken and potatoes. Stir to mix evenly and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally for about 20-30 minutes. Season with Knorr Haochi Seasoning, gula melaka, salt and sugar, taste accordingly and adjust taste to your preference.
4) Add in kerisik (pounded toasted coconut) and continue to cook till chicken is tender and potato is cook. Add in the shredded kaffir and turmeric leaves and stir briskly to mix everything together. Gravy will become dry but still moist (Add more water if you want more gravy).
5) Serve hot with turmeric rice or white rice.