800 g sweet potato – peeled, and cut into bite size chunks.
1 tbsp dried longan – washed and set aside
10 red dates – washed and set aside
2 inch ginger – bruised
Honey rock sugar to taste
4 pieces pandan leaves – knotted
2 litres water
1 tbsp sago
1) Steamed sweet potato over rapidly boiling water till 1/2 coked. Take out and set aside.
2) Bring water to boil in a deep pot over medium heat. Add pandan leaves, longan, red dates and bring to boil again, then lower heat. Let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
2) Add 1/2 cook sweet potato, sago and rock sugar. (It is advisable to add rock sugar in small portion and taste to your desired sweetness). Continue to simmer till potato is just cooked and sago turns transparent.
3) Do not overcooked the sweet potatoes, otherwise it will start to disintegrate and ruin the appearance of the soup. Discard pandan leaves and ginger.
4) When serving, scoop some sweet potato chunks, longan and red dates into individual serving bowls and fill with soup. Can be consume cold or warm.