1 large cuttlefish
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp pepper
300 g kangkong – discard tough fibrous stems and cut into 4 inch lengths
3 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp dried shrimps – soaked till soft and coarsely pounded
1 tsp sugar
3 cloves garlic
3 red chillies
1 inch dried shrimp paste/1 tbsp belacan powder
1) Wash the kangkong thoroughly and drain in a colander.
2) Wash the cuttlefish. With a sharp knife at a slant, make shallow cuts across the inside surface of the cuttlefish in a criss-cross pattern. The cuttlefish will curl with an attractive pattern when blanched. Cut into bite size pieces and season with sugar and pepper for 20 minutes.
3) Boil saucepan of water and scald cuttlefish for a few seconds. Drain well and place on serving plate.
4) Heat wok with oil until hot. Reduce heat and stir fry pounded ingredients for 1 minute. Add pounded dried shrimp and stir-fry until aromatic.
5) Add kangkong and sugar, toss over high heat until limp and cooked before transferring to serving plate. Arrange the cuttlefish on top. Serve hot.