500 g Kway Teow
250 g medium prawns (peeled and deveined)
250 g bean sprout (taugeh)
150 g cockles (shelled)
55 g chives (ku chai) – cut into 2 inch in length
2 fish cakes – sliced
2 chicken sausage/lup cheong – sliced thinly
2 tbsp cai bo – rinsed
1 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp sweet sauce (Kipas brand)
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp water
4 tbsp oil
10 dried chilles soaked and drained
1 tsp shrimp paste – crumbled
1) Combined all sauce ingredients and set aside.
2) To make the chilli paste, blend the chillies and shrimp paste, adding a little water if necessary. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a wok over low heat and fry the chilli paste until well cooked and the oil separates. Set aside.
3) Heat 1 tbsp oil and fry half of the garlic and cai bo until fragrant. Add half chilli paste and prawns, sausages and fish cakes, frying over high heat until prawns are seared. Add half of the kway teow and sauce. Toss over high heat for a few minutes before spreading the noodles evenly over the wok.
4) Make a well in the centre, drizzle in a tsp of oil, scamble the eggs, then combine with the noodles. Add half of the bean sprouts, cockles and chives, season with salt and stir fry over high heat for 1 minute. Divide into 2 serving plates.
5) Clean pan and repeat with the remaining half of the ingredients.